Sunday, August 17, 2008

정들자 이별이라

(Jeong deulja ebyeol ira)

"Once affection develops, it's time to part"

This Korean proverb seems to effectively capture my feelings as of late. I realized at my farewell party yesterday that I'm blessed with knowing a community of wonderful and supportive friends here in Boston.  It's difficult to leave for such a long stretch of time, especially when some friendships have just started to bloom or become reinvigorated. I know from experience, however, that one year abroad seems awfully long at the outset, but in retrospect will feel like only a brief period of absence.

Fortunately, it will be very easy to keep in touch with friends back home when I'm in Korea. I plan to be more proactive about doing so this time around - and with the wonders of the digital age, I will only be a Skype phone call or Gmail chat away. Part of the reason that I'm starting this blog is also an effort to stay more connected with friends and family. I don't intend this to be a field journal, but rather a space to share some photos and some musings on encounters in Korea during the next year. I'm hoping to post on a regular basis - so please try and visit from time to time!

2 comments:

elisep said...

I will visit often this coming year, Katherine, and hopefully i will be able to see you in Korea. If not, in Cambridge again! Since I have been myself "on the road" for 10 years now, living almost the same amount of time in 3 different countries, I totally relate to what you say. This sometimes lancinating feeling of discontinuity and displacement is the price to pay for the pleasure of perpetual discovery. It is more or less a choice. By now, we have learned how to live with it and it is my bet we cannot live without it. When we think no longer it is an acceptable tradeoff, we will be old for real! Thanks for opening this blog to let us know about your life and maintain contact. Take care, Elise

kath said...

thanks so much elise! yes, i guess this is what we've signed up for...it was great to finally meet you in cambridge, and i'll look forward to seeing you again in seoul. enjoy your time in paris and give my best to mayu!