Monday, February 2, 2009

Something Smells Fishy


This restaurant only served a seafood stew and side dishes that were practically all seafood based. I ended up eating lots of kimchi and rice that evening. And apparently, I was very engaged in text messaging at the moment this picture was taken. Mild discomfort? Maybe.


I do love Korean food...but I have a problem in that I can't eat any seafood. This includes: all kinds of fish, shellfish, shrimp, raw fish (sushi) and octopus. I have an allergic reaction to seafood - and I have to be extra careful of any stew that is made with clams or tuna. And besides that, I just have a physical aversion to the smell and taste of anything from the sea. Except for seaweed - which I do like.

Koreans find it hard to believe when I tell them about my food allergies for the first time. "Are you sure you're really allergic? Maybe you just need to eat a lot, because that's the best way to get over your condition." Or, "why don't you just have the broth, and you can give me all of your shrimp." And also, from some of my family members - "how was it that you were born in Incheon? You know, the port city?"

I've learned to deal with this as best as I can, joking that the people who end up sitting next to me luck out and get to have double portions. And the folks that I'm close to are aware of my allergies, so they often ask for separate dishes or try to negotiate with the cook sometimes. For this, I'm grateful. But, considering that nearly half of Korean cuisine is seafood-based, I know that I'm missing out on something and I do sometimes wish that I could partake in the panoply of fishy dishes here.


1 comment:

rhodobacter said...

This explains a lot. haha j/k. I'm beginning to develop an allergy to shellfish. Like to shrimp. It makes my chest feel heavy