A spectacular (and potentially hazardous) fireworks display located right on the Outdoor Plaza of the National Theater of Korea. This would never fly in the U.S. - but it sure made for a thrilling viewing experience!
Kim Hanbok, one of the members of the Samul GwangDae team, enjoying the tteokguk (떡국) rice cake soup that is traditionally eaten by Koreans on New Year's Day. I was totally impressed that there were vats of tteokguk and kimchi being served up to all of the audience members well after 12:00 AM, just outside the National Theater.
On New Year's Eve, my friends and I were invited by the Samul GwangDae team to attend the "Songs of Hope" performance at the National Theater of Korea. I was pleasantly surprised to find a full house, a solid line-up of the resident companies of the National Theater, and an excellent finale to the performance that ended with food, fireworks, and fun. What more can you ask for in a New Year's celebration?!
Here is a short video clip that I took of the Samul GwangDae team (Kim Hanbok, Jang Hyunjin, Park Anji, and Shin Chansun) performing the pankutnori (판굿놀이) in the main lobby of the National Theater.
And although most Koreans actually celebrate the New Year according to the Lunar Calendar, I'll go ahead and say:
새해 복 많이 받으세요! May the New Year be filled with happiness, good health, and prosperity!

1 comment:
With the new iteration of Facebook, videos like the ones I've posted on public groups require that you now sign up for Facebook to view them from an external site. Boo. I've got to figure out another way to show videos here. Sorry!
Post a Comment