Tuesday, January 20, 2009

On Time

A view of the Bund from the New Heights Bar in Shanghai, China. Photo taken during a short vacay at the end of December.


I've been thinking a lot of about time lately. Timelines, timing, timeliness, and now that I'm based in Seoul...Korean time. It's now coming upon the midpoint of my grant, and I've been slowly chipping away at the mid-term report that I need to submit to Fulbright asap. In my review of fieldnotes and journals, I think that overall, the field research has progressed at a good pace. One thing that I realized about the nature of conducting research here, however, is getting acclimated to Korean sensibilities of time - which is best rendered in polite terms as "flexible."

Other than attending major events that have already been fixed, I've abandoned the idea of scheduling appointments more than a week in advance. The week-long increment seems to work best, and allows for cancellations, "re-schedules" and plenty of improvisation. Case in point, this past weekend I rescheduled some meetings and went to Pusan on a couple of hours notice. I had finally heard back from a professor with whom I had been trying to get in touch with for several days. I was planning on only staying for one night for the meeting, but then he insisted that I stay through until Monday. I ended up seeing two performances, attending a series of duipuri, and conducting some interviews, all due to the efforts and hospitality of this very kind professor.

In Korea, there is an improvisatory quality to time and also the music. I won't delve into a lecture on Korean rhythm now - but I'll just say that there are uncanny similarities between the two that make for surprises that are often unexpected and exciting.

And now, it is time for me to tune into another kind of excitement - the Inauguration coverage!

2 comments:

aimee said...

Funny--I've been thinking a lot about time, too. How being 14 hours ahead of EST makes me crazy, but makes very real my own tendency in *real* time to be impatient and irritated when everyone is not up to speed. Also, I was cleaning out some emails a while back, and found one from a friend in NY whose friend was on a Fulbright last year, researching ceramics. The researcher talked about the difficulties of scheduling and time, which I just skimmed in the friend's email. It didn't mean much until I read it again, after actually living that reality. And I laughed.

kath said...

thanks for sharing, aimee. speaking of being 14 hours ahead...i am still fatigued after staying up to watch the Inauguration in real time, which meant going to bed at 3:30 AM.

at least you don't have to deal with the capricious nature of scheduling and time in the countryside this month. or do you??

miss you here in crazy seoul...