Wednesday, March 18, 2009

2.5 Degrees of Separation...


Lotus flower dancheong paintings on a pavillion's ceiling at Silleuksa Temple grounds in Yeoju, Korea


is apparently the case in Seoul, according to a new acquaintance-hopefully-to-be-friend of mine, to whom I was introduced this weekend through a friend. I would have to concur with this observation...especially after getting to know folks in the small world of traditional Korean music and dance over the years. Performers here either share teachers, students, or have collaborated with one another at some point in time. This makes for facile introductions, no-nonsense cross-referencing, and also some fascinating dish...a great deal of which I cannot repeat in polite company! ;)

But the densely knit network also makes me hyper-aware that one's presence here in this small community never goes unnoticed. Footprints tread leave indelible impressions and the images can be reproduced and conveyed long after a journey has ended. And this year, in particular, I've noticed that my own social networks of research-related, professional, personal, and familial contacts have intersected or overlapped in unexpected ways. This is all just a reminder that one should always be good and do good - since the karmic effects do not necessarily have to extend to the next lifetime, but are just as relevant in the current one.

Okay, enough of the Dharma talk...I'm wondering if anyone can enlighten me as to what the "0.5" stands for in the "2.5"? (Maybe a symbolic Kevin Bacon? Or a Mr. "Kim"? FYI: Here's a link to an interesting article on the Six degrees of separation theory).

3 comments:

aimee said...

I LOVE the reminder. Since I am often not good...but it's SO true about how things that go around come around quite quickly here!

kath said...

haha. well birds of a feather...

rhodobacter said...

What's Dharma talk? Is that an Ivy league word? Hahaha