My somewhat last minute research trip to Jeju Island yielded the following snapshots this weekend. These pictures were taken on the "off" day - when several people who were involved in the event I was observing visited and payed respects at the Darangswi cave site where victims of the Jeju April 3 Uprising/Massacre (1948) were interred and then later discovered by researchers in 1992. The site is located near the Darangswi orum (다랑쉬오름) - (apparently translated as a parasitic volcano!) which a few of us climbed for some incredible panoramic views. I was moved by the quiet stillness of this expansive area that once enveloped an entire village less than a century ago.
I felt the same way when I visited Hiroshima in 2006 (one of my favorite cities after Tokyo)...treading over the scars of history that have slowly become rehabilitated by time and through nature's touch.

2 comments:
i love that nature can do that. reminds me of the _the world w/o us_ book. of course the dmz is in there, too.
cool...just another one of those books i have on my reading list.^^
Post a Comment