Saturday, September 12, 2009

listen, and the rest will follow

(Look closely for the woman dressed as a cheese cube)

Wednesday, September 9, 2009

On my way back home from the bank, I heard the sounds of drums and gongs in the distance. Like a bee to honey, I followed my ears to the main drag of Hongdae and stumbled upon this curious parade. Later I found out that this was the street parade to kick off the Korea Experimental Arts Festival, directed by Kim Baek-ki. Traffic didn't necessarily stop - although it did seem to slow down for the spectacle. I was glad to have my camera at the ready in my purse. This is precisely the reason why I carry it around all the time!







Friday, September 11, 2009

In the afternoon, I headed to the ARKO Arts Library and Information Center located in southern Seoul. Again, percussive sounds greeted my arrival and I was surprised to find another festival (the 16th National Youth Folk Art Festival) taking place right on the grounds of the National Center for Korean Traditional Performing Arts complex. 

The video clip and accompanying photos are of the 강릉사천하평답교놀이 - Gangneung Sacheon Hapyeong Dapgyo-nori. Dapgyo (踏橋) literally means "stepping on the bridge" and refers to an annual ritual that occurs every February 6th of the lunar calendar in the Gangneung Sacheon region. The ritual is performed as a supplication for the new year and a bountiful harvest. A local form of drumming known as Hapyeong nongak accompanies these "playful scenes" - from the encounter of two teams on a bridge to a dance with torches.

This was my first viewing, so I'm still trying to read up on this fascinating ritual event!







1 comment:

aimee said...

kim baek-ki!! big fan. and i love the torches. the cheese woman was hilarious - esp since i was expecting something way bigger!!^^