Geoje Island. On a clear day, you can see the disputed island of Tsushima (claimed as Daemado by Koreans) from this vantage point.
On the Road Again, by Willie Nelson.
Willie's lyrics were playing on my inner soundtrack as I gazed outside the window of the bus yesterday. I've done quite a bit of traveling outside of Seoul in the past month:
Jincheon, Anseong, Pilbong Village in Imsil County, and most recently - a last minute trip to Geoje Island this week.
South Korea's amazingly efficient and cheap transportation system (bus, train, high-speed train, domestic air travel) has facilitated my research wanderlust this past year. I like the idea of zipping off on a moment's notice, and I've taken full advantage of the time and funds to do so.
Is it any wonder that I've chosen to do research on a drumming tradition that draws its lineage from the namsadang - a troupe of male itinerant musicians and actors that once traversed the scenic landscapes of an older Korea?? ;P
Here are some of my favorite pictures from my recent travels:
Geoje Island. Thanks to Facebook, I found out that the Fowler family that took care of me when I was in Seattle visited Geoje Island the exact same time I did! It was nothing short of a miracle!
Geoje Island. With a new friend, Shin Mikyung.
Pilbong. An opening ceremony performed by senior members of the Imsil Pilbong Nongak Preservation Society troupe.
Pilbong. Small gong players train at a Pilbong camp.
Pilbong. A view from the Pilbong Nongak main office.

3 comments:
sooooooo jealous. sigh. that efficient and cheap transport system is a hard thing to leave.
I have a children's book about the horrors of child labor in the namsadang. I should show you it some time. ^.~ I was pretty proud of my translation, even if it will probably never be published. @@~
hey sora,
yeah - i'd definitely be interested in reading your translation!
Post a Comment