Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Travels

Sunrise, Geoje Island

I'm back in Seoul. And back with a vengeance. Or more accurately, vengeance is upon my back, which is still throbbing in pain after my 5-day trip to Geoje Island, Buyeo and Jeonju. Last week I tagged along with the Samul GwangDae team to see their performance at the Geoje Art Center (which was absolutely great!). Since I had planned to go directly from Geoje Island (located on the southern tip of the peninsula) to Buyeo, where I would be attending a 3-day Korean Cultural Heritage Program hosted by the Establishment Initiative for Intangible Heritage Centre for Asia-Pacific, I decided to travel as light as possible. I opted out of taking a tripod and am now paying dearly for filming a two-hour performance without one. And sleeping on ondol floors, though nice and toasty, only seemed to exacerbate the sprain.

Fortunately, this was the only sore point of the trip. I loved seeing the sights on Geoje Island, and I am especially grateful to the Samul GwangDae guys for driving me to and from Geoje, putting me up and taking care of all the meals, and basically making me feel like family again. It was good to also see them perform in a new capacity, since they have left the SamulNori Hanullim organization and are striking it on their own.

The Cultural Heritage Program was also fun and jam-packed with activities. I have to get going on writing a 700 word essay on my experiences during the tour, so more pictures to follow!

3 of the 4 members of the Samul GwangDae team, relaxing backstage before the concert.

My former co-worker, Lyeum Joonsuk, directing the stage lighting session prior to the performance.


With members of the Samul Gwangdae team, staff, and 9 year old p'ansori prodigy Koh Handol.



No comments: