Monday, December 15, 2008

Hanok and Heritage




Here is an excerpt of the essay that I submitted to the UNESCO-affiliated Establishment Initiative for the Intangible Heritage Center for the Asia-Pacific (EICHAP) re: the Korean Cultural Heritage program that I attended in early December. Please keep in mind that most of my writing is done under the barrel of a gun and during the wee hours of the morning...


Personally, what I found most interesting was the trip to the Jeonju hanok village, supplemented by the one-night stay in the hanok accommodations. The sequence in which we encountered hanok was well-conceived and effective. We started out viewing the historic hanok village as part of a tour led by a competent tour guide. Our initial vantage point was situated on a hill that overlooked the hanok village. This, of course, made for a prime photo opportunity of a village’s architecture straight out of the pages of Korean history. The snapshot was picturesque and exotic, yet distant at the same time. Later, as the tour progressed, we moved into the hanok village itself, and found ourselves walking the tiny alleyways and seeing the characteristic roof tiles at near eye-level. Being so close, it then became clear how diminutive these structures actually are, especially in comparison to the vertical landscape of Seoul. By the time evening came around, our journey of “peering in” led us further into literally entering the hanok itself. We were divided up into small groups and shared tiny and cramped rooms. Some of the participants chose to stay in the traditional ondol rooms, which featured an underground “fireplace” but lacked bathroom facilities in the room itself. I stayed with two other women in the more modern ondol room, and between the three of us and our baggage, there was no extra available space. The next morning we awoke to find that the bathroom was ice cold and that there was no hot water for showers.

True, the lack of space and hot water did not make for an ideal stay. But what I gleaned from this experience was an accurate slice of real life, with all of its inconveniences. In this sense, this encounter with
hanok – which metaphorically represented a journey from the “outer to the inner” – was an invaluable learning experience. It was in this combination of “sightings” of hanok to the visceral feeling of warmth coming from the fire stoked directly underneath the floor, for instance, that one could gain more local insights into the tangible and intangible aspects of Korean cultural heritage.

Lastly, I would suggest here that the “intangible” resided within an activity that was not even listed on the program schedule. Late on Saturday evening, several doors of the
hanok rooms were opened to create a long, rectangular space; all of the participants and staff crowded into the oddly shaped room to hang out and munch on fruit and Choco pies. It was a nice way to wind down after the day’s events and talk with fellow participants. This improvised gathering felt very much like a duipuri (party after some sort of event), or part of the “nori” munhwa (culture of "play") that is an unequivocal part of Korean culture. I would argue that what is officially designated as “Intangible Korean cultural heritage” often belies more intrinsic aspects of Korean culture and ways of being. “Norimunhwa is harder to formally evaluate or give status to, yet it is within this cultural sensibility that relationships are forged and cultivated – an intangible concept that has great applicability and efficacy in Korea, but also, as I observed this past weekend, beyond Korea as well.



4 comments:

rrb said...

Great excerpt K! The outer-to-inner construction of the experience sounds like it was an effective one for you and whomever reads this.

We had the department holiday party on Friday and guess who showed up?!? Ms. Corinna! I had no idea she was going to be in town. We're having breakfast tomorrow.

So... That means I've now seen both Anna and Corinna, but still no Katherine sightings. Will this happen anytime? We can only hope!

aimee said...

omg! Now I'm sad that I edited out "choco pies" in my final report! hahaa. I really did have it in at first and then removed it. My paragraph on the hanok night:

Our final night was spent in a traditional-style hanok, and looking down the row of rooms that had been opened up to create one long room for us to celebrate, I felt like I was looking in an infinite mirror. It seemed like the number of people was endless, and the festivity overflowing. The night before was spent in a study space for college students over snacks and, remarkably, no alcohol. In an often-inebriated society, I was amazed that many of us spent the entire trip sober, and still shared in a way usually reserved for close friends. Sweet potatoes, chestnuts, cookies, mandarins, and water are not what first comes to mind for impromptu parties. But it was just right, as was retiring to scorching-hot wood-fired ondol floors for a late night of storytelling.

kath said...

thanks rrb! i knew the holidays just weren't the same without those weird christmas carols sung in locrian mode.

well, it's hard to believe - but 4 months have already gone by! will be back before you know it. send me your skype info - and we'll chat. :)

kath said...

thanks for sharing this aimee!

speaking of choco pies, i ended up randomly buying a box of 몽쉘 (the best kind!) yesterday. you may end up with a surprise in your mailbox at the fulbright building. ;P