Dear ____________,
Hello! I hope this note finds you in good spirits. Are you enjoying the onset of summer here? I'm so sorry that I haven't been good about keeping in touch. I've been, well, extremely busy with things...which brings me next to my series of "did you knows?"
Did you know that the average 5 page translation (Korean to English) takes at least a minimum of 2 full days to complete? This is, of course, contingent upon the ability of the translator, nature of the translation and the level of vocabulary. For perfectionists or those with OCD, the average 5 page translation can take exponentially longer.
Did you know that copy editing the average 5 page translation takes at least a minimum of a 1 day turn-around? This is, of course, contingent upon how effectively the translation is rendered.
Did you know that there is a difference between copy editing and rewriting/retranslating?
Did you know that being bilingual (and a native English speaker) does not necessarily assume that one is skilled as a multi-talented translator/interpreter/editor?
Did you know that the going rate for professional simultaneous interpreters is XXXXXXX won?
Did you know that at any one moment, I should be getting to about 10 different things while I am here doing my doctoral dissertation research?
So, I hope this clears things up a little. You should know that absolutely none of this is a reflection of you as a person, or how I view our relationship. [possible insert: "it's not you, it's me."] I respect you greatly, and under normal circumstances, I would be more than happy to look over a little something for you. I know I've benefited from your help at some time in the past, and I would like to repay the favor in the near future. [possible insert: I know that I will benefit greatly from your help at some point in the future, and I would like to earn good credit for the favor in advance.] [And certainly, I am aware that this is the unspoken operative system in Korea - hmmm, MOVE TO STRIKE?] But please understand that I'm pretty taxed at the moment, and that I must decline your request this week.
After this busy period is over, let's definitely hang out for dinner and drinks. Thanks, and keep in touch!
Sincerely,
_____________

3 comments:
BRILLZ. tho you know the favor seekers would never even get past hello. i wonder if we could hire bouncers for you....
here here! maybe i'll just borrow that letter for myownself...
hahaha harsh...
Post a Comment