Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Farewells

Me, Frank, and Josie. I think Frank just finished telling one of his jokes.



JL and Mike. Note the scholarly backdrop at the cafe. 


A quick post here...We had our final FKSDSG (that is, the Fulbright Korean Studies Dissertation Support Group) meeting this week. I'm sad to bid farewell to three of the members, who will return shortly to their lives back in the U.S. This support group has been a really wonderful part of the Fulbright experience for me. Not only have I learned an awful lot about everyone's research, but I've also benefited from the wisdom and sage advice of my colleagues. And, the best part has been getting to know everyone over the past ten months. :)

I'll miss our monthly meetings here in Seoul - but hopefully, we can still meet transnationally -  as we continue to drum up support for our group via regular Skype spectatorship. Whenever we feel imprisoned by the shackles of the solitary confinement entailed with the act of dissertating, we should remember not to mask our catholic frustrations, which are experienced by all dissertators. Rather, we should take care to legitimize our academic efforts by collaborating on the next FKSDSG project - an interpretive mask dance of An Chunggŭn in prison, accompanied by samulnori drums and nationalistic video installations. Yes - the FKSDSG must consider submitting a group entry to the next AAAS "Dance your Ph.D. Contest." Not to be confused with the next AAS meeting, though! ;P

2 comments:

rhodobacter said...

hehe i like how you take the time to put links in for people, places, and various things of interest in your blog. they're written with a lot of love. ;-)

kath said...

aww thanks, andy. you know i'm just full of love. ;P