Friday, June 5, 2009

Top 10 Things I Miss about Living in the States


10. The 10 minute walk from my apartment to campus - a commute that did not involve one push, shove, or toe-squash the entire way.

9. All-day breakfast joints that serve typical fare: pancakes, waffles, hash browns, bacon, scrambled eggs and bottomless cups of coffee. 

8. Netflix and my queue of foreign films and the occasional war flick.

7. The drive from my parent's house to Ann Arbor on local roads.

6. Real cheese. Also, mac and cheese. 

5. Being able to find high heels that won't break my legs or the bank.

4. The Harvard Library system. And...the sub-basement of the Harvard-Yenching. (Or maybe, it's really just the spiral staircase you take to get down there...)

3. Christina's Ice Cream in Inman Square.

2. Seeing really amazing musicians perform, either right on campus or in Boston. A few stellar shows from the past 3 years that spring to mind: Angelique Kidjo, Toumani Diabate, Huun Huur Tu, Le Mystere des Voix Bulgares, Alim Qasimov and Yo-Yo Ma, Jon Hendricks, and Neba Solo.

1. My family and friends.

4 comments:

Jimmie said...

Ah, nostalgia. I'm totally with you on most of this list (is it weird that I miss the smell of the Widener stacks?), but I noticed your list is missing Felipe's, Pinocchio's, and Peet's Coffee. Or is that just what I miss about Cambridge? It also reminds me that we have yet to follow through on plans to get American-style brunch and comfort food.

rhodobacter said...

awe... miss you too!

rrb said...

We totally missed you at Anna's wedding! When are you coming back?!?

Elise said...

hi, Katherine, you will soon be able to see one friend: myself... :) I am leaving on June 24. I will contact you as soon as I get a phone. See you!