Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Caffeinated!!!

café danchu in Hongdae

Last week was a work week, with a sprinkle of fun here and there. After six days of being completely surrounded by people 24-7 (including sharing a room with 9 other women), I needed ample alone time to process the samulnori camp, catch up on numerous things, and do some editing. As a result, I found myself in search of cafés around my hood to plant myself for a serious chunk of time. 

I've realized that I've gotten picky in my selection of cafés, which double as makeshift workspaces.

Here's my running list of things preferred and things avoided at all costs:


1. The coffee must be good. After two years of living in Seattle, I kind of know my coffee now.

2. If computer is in tow, there must be accessible outlets.

3. No smoking areas. I prefer not to walk out smelling like an ashtray.

4. Set menus that include food. I have eaten more broccoli soup in a bread bowls at Au Bon Pain than I care to admit this year.

5. Absolutely no MUZAK. I have a very, very low threshold for this - and have actually left some places because I can't stand the music.

6. Along the lines of ambient sound, I also have a low threshold for loud, whiny people (usually of the female persuasion) who come to cafés to engage in noisy, vapid chatter.

7. Plenty of sunlight.

8. Comfy chairs, and a table that is high enough for me to pretend like it's a real desk.

9. Chocolate chip cookies, scones, or delectable pastries that are available for perusal or consumption. Okay, more of the latter...

10. Cute baristas definitely a plus! ;P


Latte: check; calendar: check; polka dot pen case: check; red Clairefontaine "OCD" notebook of cumulative to-do lists: check; field journal notebook: check; fresh page for a new entry: check. (I actually considered writing "priceless" before realizing the caffeine is now affecting my good judgment)

4 comments:

aimee said...

i remember going out w/michael to a place and i hadn't had lunch but all i could have at the cafe was cinnamon honey toast. which was basically a ridiculous amount of white toast cut up and drizzled w/a little honey. totally did NOT hit the spot!!

Sora said...

I'm totally going to stalk you now and sit at tables behind you and whine and play MUZAK really loud on portable speakers.

Just to see how long it takes before you kick my @$$.

Charles said...

It's too tempting, so I gotta do it: a point-by-point response. ;-)

1. Definitely, although I admit that I can't stand the drip here in Seattle. We now drink only Dunkin' Donuts drip at home. If we're out, it needs to be a really nicely made espresso or americano…
2. YES!
3. Well, I'm spoiled by smoking in cafes being illegal here. ;-)
4. Food is a definite plus, although I've been known to bring my own.
5. Totally agreed with the music. I could use headphones, but I don't like them in or on my ears for that long to be honest.
6. Are you in Seoul? Is it possible to NOT be around that whiny accent?
7. Sun! We have sun for this week anyhow... ;-)
8. Table height is most important for me. In fact if the chairs are *too* comfortable it could be a bad thing…
9. I'm trying to cut back on the carbs, but my favorite cafe here has Gelato… :o
10. Hmm. I'll plead the 5th on this one.

I love all your notebooks. I've become more attached to paper than I used to be, too. It helps me think better.

Good luck with your writing and editing!

kath said...

thanks for the comments!

aimee - i haven't come across that place yet - thank goodness!

sora - i will fend you off with some krispy kreme "coffee cake." haha...

charles, thanks for the 10 point response! dunkin donuts? are you missing boston or something?