Sunday, August 9, 2009

Out in the Stix

Shin Chan-sun leading the advanced changgo class

I just returned from a week-long samulnori camp in Jincheon, led by the SamulGwangDae organization. It was a fabulous and incredibly intense experience, just as I suspected it would be. Days were uber-long, and filled with drumming, socializing, food, drinking, and even more food into the wee hours of the night. I'm disappointed that I can't just take a month off and travel to all the different jeonsu (training camps for various drumming forms and masked dance) in the countryside - especially being that this is the height of the summer jeonsu season. 

But the work backlog awaits - and I'll be firmly planted in Seoul for at least the next five days.

Here are a few highlights from the trip...

A trip out to a nearby ravine

We were surrounded by various fields of crops in cultivation. Here is a red pepper crop.

One of the duipuri starts to get rolling...

Food: Grilled duck and kimchi, Time: 12:30 AM

Fruit break for the beginning changgo class

I sat in and observed this class. The kids were very quick to pick up and memorize fairly complex rhythmic patterns.

With Hyo-hwan and Yong-mo of the Happinest SamulNori Team from Geoje Island. More on them later!

For the final duipuri, the residents of the tiny village where we were staying were invited for a mini performance and food and drink. Earlier on Friday afternoon, someone was sent to buy an entire pig - which was then subsequently cooked in a gargantuan kettle, and later served as bossam




1 comment:

aimee said...

love the ass shot. love the green sandals. SO LOVE the duck!! and of course the pig story.

totally miss you! i feel like i'm veering way off the path of sanity now that i don't get to see you on a regular basis!