Saturday, July 11, 2009

i heart tokyo

The first meal I had with Shigeo and Yukiko san at the house...boiled cabbage, pork, pasta and grilled vegetables. Yukiko san is an amazing cook - and I now have to work off the pounds I gained in Tokyo last week!

My trip to Tokyo was fantastic. Everything went smoothly in terms of research, and I was able to spend a good amount of time with Shigeo and Yukiko san, my homestay parents from the summer of 2006 when I was studying Japanese language. Shigeo san surprised me by greeting me at Haneda airport last Saturday, and then kindly went with me to the airport yesterday as well (Tokyu Toyoko Line to JR Yamanote Line to Monorail to shuttle bus to Haneda...this commute, though a bit complicated, is still about an hour shorter than the "limousine" bus ride to Narita International Airport!). I'm brimming with gratitude for their hospitality over the years and for all of the luck I've had with meeting people in Tokyo, and also in Seoul. I've often been told that I'm blessed with "inbok 人福 - (quite literally, "people luck," or "luck with one's acquaintances.") I'd have to say this is right on the mark. ;) 

Here are some pictures from the trip...

I attended a rehearsal of Kim Duk Soo (one of the original members of the Korean percussion group, SamulNori) and fue player Inno Yukihiro's at the Enokizaka Studio.

KDS rehearsing at the Yokohama Nohgakudo (Theater). Kim Duk Soo just wrapped up his "solo" concert tour in Japan. Kim's performance at the Nohgakudo was unprecedented for many reasons.

Post-concert signing of autographs

Seoul City Government sponsored a table with various promotional materials (CDs, books, postcards) about SamulNori and Seoul to help encourage tourism to Korea. Pre-concert, I helped the sole (heh, heh) SamulNori staff member hand out the goodies to the concert attendees with my minimal Japanese skills. Post-concert, the backdrop made for the perfect cheesy photo op. 

On Wednesday, I met with former graduates of Waseda University who have been in a samulnori group for the past few years. We met at the World SamulNori Festival in Buyeo last year when I was helping to coordinate for the foreign teams. 

This seemed to be a Japanese take on Korean dolsot bibimbap minus the egg and spicy red pepper paste. As usual, the aesthetics for the presentation of food is exceptional.

On Friday, I treated myself to seeing kabuki at the Kabukiza. The Kabuki Theater will be undergoing renovations next spring, so in a special campaign, the theater is featuring kabuki superstars for the rest of the year. I was able to see the famous Bando Tamasaburo in Kaijin Besso (The Seagod's Villa) by Izumi Kyoka. Here is a clip from YouTube, of one of his signature dances "Sagi Musume" (The Heron Maiden").


I had about two hours left before a dinner appointment, so I decided to head to one of the most interesting areas for youth culture in Tokyo -  Harajuku. Most stores I went into were blaring Michael Jackson, and this display, must have been an inspired MJ Gothic Lolita tribute


I was admiring this watch in one of the funky shops in Harajuku. Then I saw the little tag for it and realized it was speaking to be. It's now mine. 



2 comments:

aimee said...

soooo good to hear about successful trips!!! LOVE the watch and super sad i don't get to hash your travel out in person back in seoul but now i suppose i just start the living vicariously (tho i am NOT missing the weather!).

kath said...

thanks aimee! miss you a lot already.