Tokyo, Japan. This is kind of like a "Park and Ride" for people who commute on bikes and then take the Metro.
Perhaps it is because of my former training as a pianist, I have been able to enlist Discipline to help cope with stressful situations. There were two main events in my life that have precipitated me to establish a regimented routine of some sort: my degree recital during my senior year at Michigan and my Ph.D. exams (known as "Generals") at Harvard.
For the recital, I prepped for about one school year. I forced myself to get to the Music School every day at 9:00 AM (NOT easy for a night owl like me), practice for three hours, have a bagel and coffee, go to class, take the Blue Bus to central campus, have dinner at home, drive back to the Music School by 7:00 PM to ensure I got a piano for the rest of the evening, practice, and go home at 11:00 PM or so.
For Generals, there was a much shorter prep time...basically, two and a half crazy-intense months during the summer of 2007. After a trip to Seoul at the beginning of the summer, I returned to Cambridge and literally started hitting the books. My basic schedule also involved getting to the Music Department by 9:15 AM, reading & taking notes in the office, eating lunch in the lounge with fellow exam-takers, moving into the Seeger Room of the Loeb Music Library in the afternoon, checking out books before 5:00 PM, working out at the Law School gym (only twice a week), having dinner, and then "winding down" by watching some kind of ethnographic film. Nine out of ten films viewed, however, had some kind of graphic animal sacrifice scene - so unfortunately, the calming effect was not quite achieved, and I had to turn to something like E! ("Top Ten Hollywood Break-ups") or Bravo (Project Runway - the best show ever).
In thinking about both "challenges," I was able to maintain this rigid schedule out of one primary motivating factor: fear. Fear of starting a Beethoven sonata and then having a memory slip and not being able to get back on. Fear of not really having the technical chops to play certain passages in the Debussy Preludes. Or: Intense fear of being faced with an exam question I had no idea how to answer. More intense fear of being asked a question at orals and then revealing my obtuseness.
Fortunately, both the recital and the exams went better than I expected. I survived.
A few weeks back, a friend sent over the following article on "defensive pessimism," which I think has my name hyperlinked all over it. That, in addition to being a perfectionist, I think, explains a lot about how I prepare for big, stressful events.
Recently, I realized that fear is starting to set in again...can I finish in time? Will I have enough data? Am I doing enough? Am I asking the right questions? Am I meeting the right people? Can I actually write this dissertation when I go back?
I seek Discipline now in these final months - but it seems that the unwieldiness of fieldwork and the flexible nature of "Korean time" resists a fixed routine that I can take feigned solace in. And unlike the delimited block of time with a singular event circled in red at the end of it, I see not one postlude to fieldwork, but many significant developmental stages: departure, re-entry, adjustment, transcription, research, teaching, and the Writing.
But I'm getting ahead of myself. I guess, for now, it's just one day at a time.

2 comments:
OMG! i sooooooooo am also a defensive pessimist! see? which is why it can be frustrating when hanging out w/so many strategic optimists^^
ditto on project runway. and i LOVE this post. though i generally get depressed about how fear motivates me so much.
i read yr post right before tackling my own app deadline, that i was afraid i wouldn't finish in time to postmark today. but then i got the boost from reading yr entry and then put on yr debussy track (and showed it off to ben - i was like, "that's katherine!") to get me thru the rest of my writing.
you will do great for the rest of yr stay! you already have been. but i totally miss you and miss being in the same craziness.
thanks aimee, you're so sweet.
i think we need to start up a defensive pessimist support group. (have you realized i love starting up support groups?) we can first manage it online, and then have occasional meetings when i move back to the east coast. but, let's not plan anything TOO big right? wink, wink...
Post a Comment